New Condos at Keefer and Columbia in Vancouver’s Chinatown
Beedie Living, a development company in Vancouver, has submitted their third application for a condo tower at the corner of Columbia and Keefer, in the parking lot next to everyone’s favourite nightcap destination, the Keefer Bar.
The third rezoning application was submitted a few weeks ago, after the first two were denied, mostly due to size and how they could change the nature of Chinatown. The residents in the area are putting up a fight to ensure whatever fills that lot is representative and fitting with the area.
The current re-zoning application for 105 Keefer St (read more here) indicates the following:
- commercial uses on the first floor, including a seniors’ cultural space;
- 25 senior social housing units on the second floor;
- 119 market residential units from levels 3 to 13, 68% of which are two- or three-bedroom units;
- communal outdoor space on one of the rooftops;
- a floor space ratio (FSR) of 7.06 and a floor area of approximately 12,027m2 (129,465 sq.ft.); and
- 81 underground vehicle parking spaces and 228 bicycle parking spaces.
This City needs more development, especially on empty lots (albeit this one has parking and hosts community events occasionally during the summer) so hopefully the City, the Developer and the residents of the area can come to a conclusion soon to get another building up to get more inventory for 1, 2 and 3 bedrooms homes. Until then, we should continue to see new developments popping up along Hastings, at the edge of the Olympic Village, off Kingsway, and in other parts of the city.