The River District in Fraserview
You may have heard about a new community that every one is starting to talk about – River District and the South Vancouver / Fraserview neighbourhood. This neighbourhood is located in the southernmost area of Vancouver proper, east of Marpole and west of Champlain Heights just off the Fraser River and Southeast Marine Drive. This neighbourhood puts you within a short bus ride to the SW Marine Canada Line Station, the Knight St Bridge and within a short drive to Burnaby, Richmond and New Westminster.
Fraserview Golf Course is in the neighbourhood and the area of Fraserview along the Fraser River has a great (and new) community centre (River District), parks, tennis courts, daycares, a boardwalk, and future plans for a pedestrian only shopping centre with shops, restaurants, schools, grocery stores, coffee shops and more. Wesgroup, a large Developer in Vancouver, is in the midst of creating a large new community called River District. This area has already started to come to fruition with new condo buildings and townhouses with many more phases planned for the next few years. For more information about this upcoming community, see: RiverDistrict.ca.
The Fraserview Neighbourhood has become quite popular in the last year or so thanks to a few different factors: prices and new development. Fraserview has a combination of newer and older high rise towers, low rise buildings, townhouses and detached houses, though the detached houses are north of SE Marine Drive. Prices in Fraserview are quite a bit cheaper than many other neighbourhoods in Vancouver, where you can get a 2 bed, 2 bath condo for under $350k, a 3 bed townhouse for under $550k.
River District in Vancouver
River District Neighbourhoods
There will be FIVE neighbourhoods once the project is complete:
- In the west, Hill Point is perched atop the north side of the property with views of the Fraser. Homes will be townhomes & low-rise condominiums.
- South of Hill Point, fronting the river, will be Pier Point. Condominiums will offer easy access to tree-lined trails by the water. Romer’s Burgers and the community centre is situated here
- In the centre, Mill Bay is the hub of the new community. Retail stores mixed with high-rise homes and townhouses.
- Above Mill Bay is The Crescent. Provides easy and convenient access to and from the community.
- To the east is Avalon. Public greenspace for sport and recreation. Homes will be multi-family, many with elevated views over the river towards Mount Baker.
River District Information
- The River District development is extraordinary in many ways – offering unprecedented, affordable waterfront living as well as access to Vancouver’s largest and last new waterfront neighbourhood that will feature riverfront pathways, sports fields, a brand new elementary school, four daycare centres, 25 acres of park space, an already active and beautiful waterfront community centre, a waterfront restaurant and a large amenity centre.
- River District will have more residents than Yaletown – 7,000 homes and 15,000 residents including 7.2 million square feet of residential space, 250,000 square feet of retail space and 260,000 square feet of office space. All told, that’s bigger than the community of White Rock.
- River District already has a beautiful, busy community centre that hosts yoga classes, movie nights, kids activities, sports leagues for adults, beach volleyball, nature walks and much more.
- River District has already won 10 awards including “best neighbourhood and master-plan design.”
Already open in the River District:
- Farmers Market: Every Saturday May 30 – October 10 from 10am-3pm
- Romer’s Burger Bar: Waterfront restaurant featuring 100% certified organic burgers
- Tennis Courts and the River District Community Centre
Future Plans for River District:
- Brand new elementary school
- 4 daycare centres (spots for 256)
- 25 acres of park space
- Waterfront< community centre
- 5km riverfront pathway